The Center has supported public outreach efforts in science and society across the University through collaborations with on-campus and student-organized groups. Starting in 2018-2019, a yearly call for outreach grant proposals has been issued to award funding for projects that:
- Develop public understanding of issues at the intersection of society and science, technology, and/or medicine;
- Teach K-12 students about current issues in science and society; or
- Work with communities to respond to issues that affect or are affected by science
Two Public Outreach Grants have been awarded in 2020:
- Science Talks! Bringing Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Complex Societal Issues to the Greater Harlem Area led by Paula Croxson. Science Talks! is a public event series which aims to bring current issues in natural and social science to K-12 students in Upper Manhattan and the South Bronx.
- Unsung Stories: Oral Histories of Women at Columbia’s Computer Music Center led by Ellie Hisama and Zosha Di Castri. A podcast series that will document the legacy, musical excellence, and experience of female composers in electronic music at the Computer Music Center.
Learn more about our 2020 awardees.