In this workshop:
- Learn about the history and chemistry of natural colorants and dyes
- Follow 500-year- old recipes from the Renaissance to dye wool and silk yarns with cochineal bugs
- Learn how genetic engineering and bacterial cultures can be used to replace synthetic dyes in the future
- Paint with bacteria and then print your designs on cotton
- At the end, combine printed microbial designs with hand-dyed cochineal textiles to create a decorative art piece to take home
No experience in biology, chemistry, dyeing, or colormaking is necessary and all are welcome!
For more information and to purchase tickets, please visit the workshop’s Eventbrite page.