- Hold a doctorate in history of science and technology (mathematical and astronomical sciences 19th - 20th centuries);
- Have a good knowledge and taste of archival research;
- Master the digital tools (spreadsheets, databases, etc.);
- Have a good command of the French language.
Deadline for applications is 20 September 2018. After the selection of records, a personal interview will be held with the candidates (the interview will take place at a distance).
A one year position studying scientific instruments the Bureau des Longitudes (1795-1932): social and material history is accepting applications.
1) General study of scientific instruments designed, manufactured, distributed under the direction of the Bureau des Longitudes between 1795 and 1932. This study will be based on the exploitation of the minutes of the transcripts of that institution, as well as research in various Archives (Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, Paris Observatory, Hydrographic and Oceanographic Service of the Navy, National Geographic Institute, and forestry, etc.).
2) Targeted study of one or two musicals representative of the Office of Longitudes. This will replenish the finest possible physical and social history of these instruments focusing particularly on their manufacturers, their uses and adaptations by actors and/or diverse communities, and their diffusion.
3) Develop recovery activities around the scientific instruments of the Bureau des Longitudes.