ELIGIBILITY: Projects must include a (co) organizer who is a full-time employee at Columbia University, Teachers College and Barnard College (e.g, faculty, department administrator, postdoc, researcher).
AMOUNT: Proposals may request up to $10,000; however, most grants will be in the range of $2,000 to $5,000.
DEADLINE: Applications should be submitted no later than June 8, 2018.
PROPOSAL INSTRUCTIONS: Available as PDF here
Center for Science and Society Public Outreach Grants
The Center for Science and Society at Columbia University is issuing a call for proposals for outreach, service, and other projects that:
1. Help boost public understanding of issues involving society and science, technology, and medicine;
2. Teach K-12 students about current issues in science and society; or
3. Work with communities to respond to issues that affect or are affected by science.
The Center for Science and Society (CSS) grew out of a conviction that the world’s most pressing and increasingly complex issues – climate change, public health, food security, and gender inequality to name just a few – can no longer be addressed through the lens of just one discipline but require an interdisciplinary and cross-sector approach to problem-solving. The Center’s mission is therefore to create a new paradigm of collaborative inquiry between the natural and social sciences and the humanities. In addition to pursuing our mission through our research clusters, seed grants, and academic conferences, CSS is committed to furthering public understanding about the role of science in society.
Proposals must include the following:
1. 1-2 page written summary of project that outlines the scope of work and how the project addresses issues at the intersection of science and society.
2. Budget – please note that grants can only support direct costs. Proposals may request up to $10,000; however, most grants will be in the range of $2,000 to $5,000.
3. C.V. and contact information for a Columbia University affiliate who will be a primary (co)organizer of the project. The affiliate must be a full-time employee at Columbia University, Teachers College and Barnard College (e.g, faculty, department administrator, postdoc, researcher).
Please send proposals as a single PDF document by 5:00 p.m. EST on Friday, June 8, 2018 to Roshana Nabi, CSS Project Manager (email@example.com) with “CSS Public Outreach Grants” in the subject line of the email. Notifications about awards will be issued by June 30, 2018.
Conditions of the award: Funds must be expended by June 30, 2019. Grant recipients must provide a final report on project activities, including a budget report.
For more information, please contact CSS Project Manager Roshana Nabi at firstname.lastname@example.org.